There are a LOT of essential oils on the market. A. Lot. So narrowing it down to only 5 is a little bit ridiculous. As I thought about it, I realized it was too ridiculous, so I decided to list my 5 favorite single oils and, in a second post, my 5 favorite oil blends.
Ok, so my top 5 single oils. The oils I always have on my shelf, the ones I reach for over and over for every member of the family (in no particular order):
- Lavender – It’s the Swiss army knife of oils. We use it for all things soothing and relaxing. It’s gentle but effective. I dilute it for topical use with my children and dogs but it doesn’t bother my skin using it neat (without dilution). We also diffuse this oil very frequently. It blends well with many other oils so it’s a great one to have near your diffuser. **Hot Tip: If you don’t like the smell of lavender, consider trying petitgrain. It has many of the same properties as lavender but is distilled from the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange tree so it smells a bit citrusy. I am just getting to know petitgrain but I really am liking it so far. It’s been called the “manly” lavender. I’m not sure I’d go that far because I like it and I’m not a man, but lavender is most often associated with feminine smells, so there ya go. Manly.
- Frankincense – When in doubt, use frankincense! We truly use this oil for everything. I use it topically in my skin care routine, it’s in my favorite essential fatty acid supplement that we take internally, I rub it over my heart to ease anxious feelings or when I’m over tired (so pretty much everyday). The kids love the smell and I add it to diffuser blends often. I love, love, LOVE frankincense during prayer time. It is a wonderful grounding oil that helps me focus and meditate. Try it!!
- Lemon – I know, kind of a boring pick but it’s SO versatile!! Most people I know use it most often to flavor their water. I do not care for flavored water so I do not use it in that way but, I’m telling you the truth, if you have small children you really must have lemon oil. You will never find anything better for removing marker from walls and doors, gum from shoes, sticker residue from every surface known to man, or that wonderful odor of a diaper pail left to sit too long. I know, it’s cleansing! It supports respiratory function! It aids in digestion! But we use it to remove the evidence of wild children. Can’t live without it.
- Eucalyptus – I love the smell of eucalyptus. Is that weird? I really do. I like to diffuse this one – in a diffuser or, most often, in the shower. I just drop a few drops in the corner of the shower floor and let the steam rise up with it. Such a great aromatherapy shower. It really promotes clear breathing and helps wake me up. Which is hard to do. 🙂
- Melaleuca – Commonly called tea tree oil, this is our go-to skin oil. I often combine it with lavender for irritated skin. All of our kids have sensitive skin so I dilute it always but, with dilution, it’s really soothing. It’s also in my cleaning sprays I use around the house and I find that it helps a lot with smelly laundry. I add it directly to my wash load and run the cycle. It helps takes the stink away for us. And, I don’t know if you’ve heard about the “super lice” running amok these days, but consider adding melaleuca to your family’s shampoo to help deter those little beasties from moving in. It has worked for us so far (knock on wood!!).
So there they are. My top 5 EO must haves. What about you? What are your favorite oils?